Dave's Progress. Chapter 93: It's a New Dawn, It's a New Day, It's a New-Look Blog.

So, I got a little tired of the look of my blog. It was, after all, very basic and when I looked on other blogs I couldn't help but envy their little gadgets and pictures and twisty-turny moving things. OK, so I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to computers, but I think you might agree that this is something of an improvement on the look of my last blog. I have added a few gadgets together with a new template which has a suitably psychotropic-looking background. I suppose I like the warm colours of this particular template, and being an expert (sort of, in fact, not at all) on the psychology of colour, I know that yellow is an "emotional" colour, inspiring feelings of warm fuzziness, as opposed to say, green or blue, which are supposed to invoke calm, but in my view seem a little cold.
Speaking of computers, though, I must add that on Monday evening the Pathways Group had a night out to a pub in Stoke where there was something called a "social media surgery" held. The group has bought a PC with money from the Bennett Centre's benevolent fund and we wanted to start up our own web-site, hence the trip to the social media surgery to try to find out how to do this. Luckily, while there, we met up with a girl named Claire, who was very non-Luddite like in her handling of computers. In fact, she showed us a web-site which, much like "blogger", allows you to build up your own web-site using a template and inserting links, posts, pictures, etc. So, the Pathways Group is now on the way to starting up its own web-site.
I have to say that I am really enjoying our little group at the moment. It is beginning to evolve in ways that we wouldn't have thought possible and, being user-led, is something of a step forward in the way mental health services practice. However, I have to thank all of the "facilitators" in the group for always giving us a hand in making our ideas for the group a reality. Indeed, our new web-site, when it is up and running, will hopefully convey all the positivity, friendship and camaraderie there is in the group and give out a message of hope to others- that despite long-term or severe mental ill health, and even with the most damaging diagnoses which have the worst prognoses, recovery is possible and things can be achieved. No longer does schizophrenia necessarily mean an inevitable demise into worsening ill health, but a possible, even if slow and sometimes faltering, recovery.
So, it's not just a new-look blog, but a new dawn, a new day and a new life for many of us.
That's all for now from your normal, average delusional and paranoid man.
P.S. This is just a quick "hello" to Cath, who is a long-time member of the Pathways Group and may be logging on soon to this blog for the very first time using our computer. Best Wishes, duck, and may you have many happy hours surfing the net!

Comments

bazza said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
bazza said…
Hi David. Fantastic!
Not just because you have changed the look of your blog and gone all 'fuzzy' but because this represents a big step forward for you. (Sorry if that sounds patronising - it's not meant to!)
Best wishes, Bazza.
Bazza’s Blog ‘To Discover Ice’
ps: I deleted the previous comment because I noticed a spelling error!
David said…
Dear bazza,
Thanks once again- you seem always to be the first to make a comment.
I suppose the Pathways Group has provided me with the tools to make a "big step forward". Together with working at MAGMH, it has resulted in my confidence and self-esteem rising considerably. The support we all get and the freindships we have all made, I think, have been extrememly valuable in all our recoveries. It is great to have such a dynamic momentum in a group full of people whose illnesses would, on the surface, seem to prevent them from participating in such things.
And thanks for your support, bazza.
With Very Best Wishes,
David.
THE SNEE said…
Hi David, I'm new to your blog, and see that I have 92 chapters to read in order to catch up! I like your new look. I was just at Bazza's blog, reading up on the artist Pierre Bonnard who uses a similar palette to the one you used in the background. I love yellows! Anyway, your group's foray into the virtual world sounds exciting. I'm a computer luddite too, so I know it's similar to space travel when you first get online and build a website. Good luck, and I'm glad I popped over!
David said…
Dear Snee,
Thanks very much for coming over and taking the time to read my blog. I believe, also, we are mutual admirers of that hirsute, hippy, happy guy known in blogland as klahanie. He seems to like my blog, so I'm glad that you're glad you poppped over. Hope you like the other 92 chapters!
Yours with Very Best Wishes,
David.
klahanie said…
Dear David,
First of all, you may have noted my comment in your previous posting alluding to complimenting you on your new layout. Sorry for any confusion but when I posted that, this posting was not showing up as published.
Anyway, all reference to your title and the words to a song, aside, I'm so pleased you have started adding some extra applications. You know I was willing to help you out, as best I can, with this. Next time I'm over, I'm more than happy to show you some more stuff you might like to add.
I'm really pleased that your Pathways Group is giving you so much enjoyment. The new website plans seem very exciting. Looking forward to that day when I come and visit and give one of my well renowned speeches:-)
Very pleased to see my good blogging friend, 'THE SNEE', has made a visit. She's a terrific blogger.
All the best and very well done.
Kind wishes, Gary.
David said…
Dear Gary,
Thanks for your kind and encouraging remarks. I look forward to you coming over to show me even more gadgets, widgets or whatever, it will be much appreciated.
And yes, getting our new web-site will be exciting. Then we can say "hello" to the world and send out the message of hope that we want to.
With Very Bset Wishes and a can of Heinz tomato soup, your way,
David.
Steve Freeman said…
Great stuff. I like the mix of material and the fact that it is all 'human'.
Is it OK to pass the address on to others?
David said…
Dear Steve,
Thanks for leaving a comment and please feel free to pass on the address to others. As you may notice, I don't have that many "followers" and would very much like my blog to be read by as many people as is possible, in the hope that the anti-stigma message will rub off.
By the way, could you be the same Steve Freeman of SFA fame who gave a very enjoyable session at our very own Pathways Group? I shall come over to your site immediately to find out.
Thanks once again.
Yours with Very Best Wishes,
David.
Kelly said…
I left a longer comment to your previous post. I just wanted to add that I like the look of your blog.
David said…
Dear Kelly,
Glad you like my new-look blog.
If you go back to my previous post and look on the comments you will now find a response to your longer comment. I do try to reply to everyone who leaves a comment, and you are no exception.
Oh, and I do find that blogging is therapeutic. It has helped me get a lot of things off my chest that would have otherwise been left to fester away in my little brain!
Yours with Very Best Wishes,
David.

Popular posts from this blog

By the Age of 40, Everyone has the Face they Deserve.

Dave's Progress. Chapter 18: Me and My Anhedonia.

The Asylum vs. Care in the Community.